City of Centerville 

Festival of Lakes * Est. 1857

Building Inspections


The Building Department provides residents, developers and home builders with a variety of services from inspections to site plan reviews.

Building Official, Mr. Paul Palzer can be contacted at 651-429-4750 or by clicking his name via email if you have questions or concerns.  You may also contact or Building Inspector, Mr. Dan Schmitz at the same number. 

Please click here or the 2018 Fee Schedule.  Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permit fees can be found on the applications 

Please REMEMBER all buildings are required to have addresses clearly displayed per City Code. 



(A) Numbers required. It shall be the duty of the owner, lessee or occupant of every house, industrial, commercial or other building to have proper house or building numbers either by affixing to the building numbers in metal, glass, plastic or other durable material. The numbers shall not be less than six inches in height, in a contrasting color to the base, and so placed to be easily seen from the street


B) Alternative display. In those cases where the principal building is obscured from view from the street of address by accessory buildings, trees, shrubbery or other visual obstruction, the numbers shall be displayed from a permanent mounting on the property so that they are clearly visible from the street of address



Most replacements, i.e. siding, re-roofs and additions require permits along with new residential and commercial buildings.

New residential and commercial buildings require two (2) sets of plans (professionally completed), site survey and insulation certification to be filed along with an Application for Permit. 

Accessory Structures (sheds) (in excess of 10' x 12') require two (2) sets of plans, may be hand-drawn, site survey, etc. to be filed along with an Application for Permit.  An accessory structure 10' x 12' or less requires a  $60 Zoning Permit and two (2) sets of plans are required.  A copy of the certificate of survey needs to be filed with the Application for Permit indicating the location of the proposed accessory structure on the property.  This is to ensure the accessory structure is not placed in any type of easement, but does not verify property lines.  Click here to view City Code on Accessory Structures.

The City of Centerville prides itself on their turn-around time for site plan reviews and this process generally takes two (2) days for review.  City Staff will notify you when the permit is ready for pick-up and the amount owed.

You may contact the Building Department at (651) 429-4750 if you have additional questions regarding permits.

Application for Permits are submitted at City Hall between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

If you are unable to be at City Hall by 4:00 p.m., arrangements may be made to assist you, if desired, please contact (651) 429-3232.

Building Permit Application

Please contact City Hall at (651) 429-3232 or the Building Official at (651) 429-4750 for additional submissions that may be needed.

Click here for a writable PDF Building Application.  The completed form can be mailed to:

Centerville City Hall
1880 Main Street
Centerville, MN 55038
Faxed to: 651-429-8629
Emailed to:

Click here for a City of Centerville Electrical Permit Form.   The Electrical Inspector is Mr.  Brian Nelson who can be reached at 763-434-4853.  Calls are taken Monday - Friday from 7:00 to 8:30 a.m. only.  Fees are located on the permit application.  The general guideline for residential electrical fees are as follows; a one-time inspection, such as with an air conditioning unit, will be $45, a two-time inspection, as with an addition, will be $90.00 and a new home will be $175.  Each of the above amounts include a State Surcharge of $1.  If there are additional inspections required, the Electrical Inspector will issue an order for payment to be paid to City.   Homeowners can do their own electrical work if they first apply for an electrical permit, except in the case of a new home.  A new home requires an electrician to apply for the permit and do the work.   

 All commercial electrical permits need to be approved through the Electrical Inspector who will also determine the fees.  


Do you need a Permit from the Rice Creek Watershed District?


Activities Regulated by the District:

  • Land development and subdivisions
  • New home, home additions and building construction
  • Rough grading (fill, excavation, etc.)
  • New road construction
  • Installation of utility lines (sewer, water)
  • Shoreland alteration and improvement projects
  • Wetland alteration
  • Wildlife pnd construction
  • Appropriation of public waters
  • Maintenance, repair, or improvement of public or private drainage systems
  • Bridge and/or culvert construction


          Click here for permitting information. 

Click here for a link to the Rice Creek Watershed District's web site.

Energy saving investments that will greatly reduce your heating bill.

  • Seal hidden attic air bypasses.
  • Upgrade insulation in attics, walls and crawl spaces.
  • When replacing your furnace purchase a 90% or higher efficiency unit.

Start saving today by following these low-cost, no-cost ways to reduce your energy use..... 

  • Turn down your thermostat or install a programmable setback thermostat.
  • Close door and heat register to unused rooms.
  • Lock windows.
  • Weatherstrip windows and doors.
  • Keep your fireplace damper closed.
  • Turn your water heater setting down to 120 degree F.
  • Install low-flow shower heads.
  • Limit your showers to 7 minutes.
  • Install compact fluorescent bulbs in often-used lamps.
  • Change/clean your air exchangers’ filter and make sure your outside air intake is clear of debris. 

 Reproduced from the Center for Energy & Environment

212 Third Avenue North, Suite 560

Minneapolis, MN  55401




1880 Main Street, Centerville, MN 55038 Phone: (651) 429-3232 Fax: (651) 429-8629